Here are some foods you may want to try while visiting us =)
• Nacatamales: available only by ordering days in advance: These delicious corn-dough tamales are made with rice, onion, pepper, raisins, tomato, pork, potatoes, and other vegetables and spices, wrapped in banana leaves and boiled for several hours. Nowadays, the banana leaves are sometimes then wrapped with an additional layer of aluminum foil. In Nicaragua, Nacatamales are traditionally eaten for breakfast on Sunday mornings along with fresh bread and café con leche.
• Vigoron: Chicharrones which are known adn por rhines in Northern america (fried pork skin), boiled yucca, and a cabbage salad known as curtido (chopped cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and chili pepper marinated in vinegar and salt), wrapped in plantain leaves.
• Quesillos: Corn tortillas topped with a mozzarella-like fresh cheese, sour cream and pickled onions.
• Enchiladas Nicaragüenses: Corn tortillas stuffed with meat, peppers and onions, then battered and deep fried. Eaten with your hands, like an empanada.
• Tostones: Slices of unripe plantain fried in oil until they are golden, then pounded flat with a special instrument and refried until golden brown in color. The resulting chips can be eaten with salt, some like to eat this with Bean dip and sour cream, other enjoy these with slices of cheese and tomatoe, other enjoy these dipped in a delicious garlic sauce.